Missing Link (LK=BU)
Samuel and Mary Parks
Possible Ancestor of James W. Parks
PS Newsletter, Vol. 41, No. 1, Page 7 (2005)
Please be aware that the first 3 generations of this lineage lack documentation. We hope that our readers will be able to help PS# 748 either prove or disprove this 'leap of faith'!
PS# 748 Wanda Alexander states that here in Missouri we have found a record in a local library book that may link us to the ancestors of James, BUT we have no proof. This Samuel1 Parks was born abt. 1730 married Mary ?. Their son, James2 Parks born abt. 1752 named his son Thomas3 Parks born abt. 1775. Thomas3 had two sons: John4 and James W.4 Parks.
Wanda believes that the Will of John Parks in Giles Co., Tennessee is that of John4. One of his son's was Calvin5 Parks born 20 June 1826 in Warren Co, TN - died 24 July 1865 in St. Clair Missouri. Calvin m(1) Margaret Bradley abt. 1847. She died abt. 1854 in St. Clair, MO. He then m(2) Mary Martha McBride, daughter of John McBride/ Sarah Allison.
Calvin Parks5 and his first wife Margaret Bradley had 4 children:
- Zella Octava6 Parks (1848 TN-1901 MO) m. Pendleton 'Pink' Motley 1863
- Phila Elemina Parks (1849 Grundy CO., TN-1916 St. Clair, MO) m. Thomas Nathaniel Casey, 1870
- Sarah Ann Parks (1850 TN-1915 St. Clair, MO) m. Merritt Larkin
- William M. Parks (1854-1854) buried Parks Cem., St. Clair, MO
Calvin Parks5 and his second wife Mary McBride had 4 children:
- Ruffus Linsfield6 Parks (1855 St. Clair, MO -1934) m. Arminta Underwood
- Loretta Jane Parks (1856-1938) m. Thomas Burnett. Both bur. Yakima, WA
- Phillip L. Parks (1860-bef. 1940 WA) m. Ollie Perkins (1863-aft. 1940 WA)
- Jefferson Davis Parks (1862 St. Clair, MO -1934) m. Frances Lewellen.
John4 Parks is also believed to have had a son named John Lee Parks5 born 1828 in Tennessee - died 1878 St. Clair Co., MO. In 1850 he married Sarah Margaret McBride, dau. of John McBride/Sarah Allison, in Pulaski, Giles Co., TN.
James W.4 Parks (well documented) was born 1797 in either North or South Carolina - died 1875 in Coffee Co., TN. He m(1) Margaret Peggy Stoddard (Stafford) abt. 1817. He m(2) Rebecca ? aft. 1850 in Coffee Co., TN.
Sources differ as to birthplace of James W. Parks and the surname of his wife. Wanda notes that due to county line changes, the home place of James and Margaret was originally part of Warren Co., then Grundy Co., and finally Coffee Co., TN. James and Margaret were both buried on their land.
James W.4 Parks and his wife Margaret Stoddard had 13 children:
- Carroll5 Parks (1818 TN-1892 Warren Co.,TN) m. Hixie Bullen 1838 Warren Co, TN
- Louisa Parks (1821 Warren Co, TN- ) m. Edmund Martin
- Alfred B. Parks (1823 TN- ) m. Sarah Windham
- Washington Beauregard Parks (1824 TN-1863 Little Rock, AR) m. Elizabeth Jane McBride abt. 1843 Warren Co., TN, dau. of John McBride/Sarah Allison. Washington 'Wash' was also known as George Washington Parks. He died of yellow fever in an AR Union Prison Camp.
- Fanny Parks (1827 TN- ) m. John Myers
- John H. Parks (1828 TN-1912 Henry Co., MO) m. Zella Jane King abt. 1849 Warren Co., TN
- Thomas Jefferson Parks (abt. 1831 TN-1862 Ft. Mulberry, AR) m. Mary J. Bullin abt. 1853 prob. Warren Co., TN. Thomas served in the 16th MO. Inf. D. -died of disease at Ft. Mulberry and is buried in AR.
- Mary Parks (abt.1834 TN - ) m. George S. Tipps 1859 Grundy Co., TN
- Caroline Parks (abt.1835 TN- ) m. John D. Browley 1853 Grundy Co., TN
- Jane Parks (abt.1836 TN- ) m. Samuel J. Harris 1867 Grundy Co., TN
- Martha Mattie Parks (abt.1838 TN- ) m. Isaac C. Garetson 1872 Coffee Co., TN
- Nancy Parks (abt. 1840 TN- ) m. John W. Walkup 1859 Grundy Co., TN
- Sarah Parks (abt. 1842- ) m. ? McCampbell 1868 Grundy Co., TN
The reader will notice that three daughters of John and Sarah (Allison) McBride married into the Parks family. This family has traced their ancestry back to John's grandfather, John 'Hantz' McBride, a Revolutionary War soldier, who lived in the vicinity of Greensboro, North Carolina.
As of now, documentation is needed to prove the early ancestry of this lineage. For more information, please contact Mrs. Wanda Alexander, 204 E. Burbank St, Appleton City, MO 64724-1027, or firstname.lastname@example.org.